Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Castration


I always try to have the veterinarian castrate my foals according to the "sign" in The Old Farmer's Almanac . I have discussed this with several veterinarians, & the consensus seems to be that no one truly understands it, but there actually does seem to be something to it. For example, one vet told me that sometimes a horse will bleed excessively while at other times there seems to be almost no bleeding or swelling, etc. So, I figure why not err on the side of caution (&/or what do I have to lose by trying)? This month's favorable days are September 28, 29, & 30 so it won't be long. Unfortunately, Boone (yearling Mo. Fox Trotter) is cryptorchid - meaning his testicles have not 'dropped.' Therefore, castration for him will be a much more involved procedure...so he may be granted a reprieve for a few more months in the hopes that he will 'drop'. Since this is my first ever foal to have this problem, research seems to be in order...

3 comments:

cba said...

Poor Baby! I say let him get a little older.

He's very handsome.

My friend Katie (Claudia's friend, too... comments on CSC as Neruda) used to have several horses, in the Berkshires.

The one foal I saw her have castrated had his oysters (is that what they call them??)
thrown up on the barn roof after the operation for good luck.

De Rigeur castration procedure in certain areas of New England, as I understand it.

Dianne said...

HOW INTERESTING!

I've never seen or even heard of that, but maybe I should start doing it! Crow's Nest Stables can use all the help it can get!!!

cba said...

I'm going to send Katie your website, and you hers.

You would love her. I have known her since before we were born. (our respective parents were friends when they were young.)

She's a brlliant artist and SO FUNNY. She and her husband Mike live in another one of the most beautiful places on earth... Alford, Mass.

Call her up! She used to ride with this old gentleman nicknamed Bunny. It was he who threw the testicles on the roof.

And she's a good commenter on the blogs.