Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Scary, but still hopeful...


I brought this hay home on 8/24 & 8/25. I was told it was baled on 8/16, that it was put up dry, but did get rained on AFTER it was baled; however, it had been curing for a week out in the field prior to my purchase. Upon arrival here, it was left in the open, unstacked & untarped with plenty of room between the bales for air to circulate. We did have to tarp it later as it looked like rain, but it was very loosely tarped & later mostly untarped. We finally put it in the barn on 9/04, so it had a total of 3 weeks from cutting to cure; however, when it was put in the barn, this is what the bottom looked like. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the mold is only on the very bottom so that I can just discard a couple of inches or so off the bottom & feed the rest. HOPE, HOPE, HOPE!!!

3 comments:

Claudia said...

How do you cut it off, with a saw?

Dianne said...

Nope, have to either unroll it or set it in a round feed bunk type feeder & let them eat down TO it in hopes I catch the moldy stuff for removal prior to them consuming it. Cows are hardier than equines due to their multiple stomaches, but moldy hay will KILL a horse.

CBA & Cate said...

Diane, Frank: We had the BEST time visiting you this past weekend.

I'll never forget it!

You have one of the most beautiful spreads on earth.

And I loved my house tour, Frank. And my ATV cruise to feed the fish, Diane. And Cate talked about CB all the way home.

Remember: Sand, don't paint. It's too classic to paint. Fabulous!

Lots of love to you both...